Ken,

You forgot to mention Dennis Hopper, my old down-the-street neighbor in Venice, California. Hopper played Dave Hastings. An avid artist, photographer, and art collector, he lives just a couple of blocks from the site of the old Eames Office which is just across the street from World Gym, started by Joe Gold but, last I knew, largely owned by Arnold Schwartzenegger. We have to be able to connect that to design in at least four different ways.

Dean Martin went on to star in a real joke of a Western that also involved winning and losing at poker, "Five Card Stud." Contrary to the title, he did not make a living by fathering children. (Jon Edwards, despite being the recent US presidential candidate who had the greatest concern about economics, apparently got that business plan backwards.)

George Kennedy (also in Sons of Katie Elder) went on to facilitate Cool Hand Luke's egg consumption and helped Clint Easton's art historian/CIA assassin (art + commerce?) be prepared to climb the north face of the Eiger so he could kill people. Isn't that what design consultantship is all about?

Many people saw John Singleton's "Four Brothers" as an "Elder" remake. The connections between design and Marky Mark are probably too obvious to mention.

And Ricky Nelson's Stone Canyon Band including Jim Burton (former Elvis guitarist) and Tom Brumley (who played pedal steel for Buck Owens) is probably significant. Stone Canyon starts just above UCLA, bring us back to universities and deans. Wow. This may be enough for several conference papers.

Not to mention Nelson naming one of his twin sons Gunnar.

Gunnar
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1901 East 6th Street
Greenville, North Carolina 27858