Hi Terry,

And how was your winter? Mild as our summer?

I just received a text by Tufan Orel "The Design Object and its anticipatory
context: an note on creative design" in Revue Sciences et Techniques de la
conception Vol 3. nš1/ 1994. Orel, that you might remember for coining the
term designology, feels the necessity to call to an activity: Creative
Design that, to my extent, admits the existence of a non-creative Design.

Let's go back a bit.

Every freshman knows that there were Pioneers of Modern Design (Pevsner). If
there were such people as pioneers there should be the Modern Designers. One
of the characteristics of this lot was to create new objects that confronted
users with their ignorance and pitiful whishes and convictions of coziness
and decoration. The Designer which, we might suggest is fully embodied of
his/her Social Power, is the Modern designer reasoning on his own, not doing
research about the users but imposing both his/her Aesthetics as his/hers
Ethics upon the society. This was the founding Myth of "The Designer".

Orel proposes the adoption of Dewey?s "Mental Theater" with Strindberg's
"Mental Experiment" in order to develop an imaginative "anticipatory
 context" that could overcome the dualism of utopian vs realism (most of the
poisonous effects of this dualism were an heritage from Modernism).

I find that both the mental theater and the mental experiment are excellent
design methods but are NOT information gathering methods.

I would risk to say that exciting your (or mine imagination), through
drawing, is an excellent design method but is not an information gathering
method but an information processing method.

I would risk therefore two axioms:

  1.. All non-creative design methods are information gathering methods.
  2.. All creative design methods are information processing methods

Cheers,

Eduardo