I would like to add a different type of point.

It's all very well to talk of the journals of repute, RAEs etc. But
we have to help journals attain this level. And if we only publish in
the top ones, there will be no new top ones to join in.

My strategy for publishing is to publish quite a lot in less known
and less prestigious journals, in the hope that my presence will help
raise their profile. (You may disagree that my presence will have
this effect, but that's a different matter.)

If we, specially some of the older, better known and more
established, go on endlessly publishing in the few "top" journals
they will tend to exclude the young and the new, and they also fail
in the senior statesperson's job of raising the profile and
developing the possibilities of the subject.

We have to care more for the subject than ourselves or our
institutions, else we are not academics and scholars but simple
political servants.

Ranulph