There is obviously always an excess of possible knowledge that might be determined/derived for any and all situations. The fact that certain operations, such as designing, are carried out with a minium level of expected knowledge outcome that is separate to the object or process designed is indicative of the general pragmatic of design. Put a knowledge person into a design team and you would expect the knowledge outcome to go up.

keith russell

oz newcastle

>>> Sneha <[log in to unmask]> 9/23/2008 3:49 pm >>>
I disagree with Parag when he says 'This knowledge is often implicit,
unarticulated and specific to a design situation and therefore can not be
communicated, analyzed, tested or criticized'

And I second what Johann writes,
'... goes through the so-called "normal" design process then possibilities
for observing and recording research data are endless, and a rigorous
design-process observation position is what every designer should be
taught... A design process that acknowledges the necessity of user inclusion
becomes inherently research-based, and it is a short step from "just design"
to "design research" ...'

I practice as a designer and know that if the design is not 'communicated,
analyzed, tested or criticized' we are out of our jobs! An explicit/
implicit expectation of the client is access to all knowledge that has been
generated by our studios in the design process - hence all the design
thinking is articulated, documented and shared (Client funds it!).

Sneha
Dig Design Studio