Hi Gail,

Our safety culture here is very positive. Reporting accidents, injuries and near misses is encouraged and welcomed, even if it brings 'bad news'.

We RECORD all accidents, injuries illnesses and near misses etc, in an effort to identify trends, e.g. lots of hand injuries reported mean the OH  man will focus on hand injury prevention at the early morning 'pre-start' meetings.

They are recoded in an electronic system which helps us develop graphs, charts and reports etc. Have a look at 'Sitesafe' or 'Axtat' or 'Safeman'

Certain injuries and incidents become REPORTABLE, where an accident report and investigation is carried out.

A RECORDABLE injury (FIRST AID) might be a cut finger requiring a plaster.
A REPORTABLE (MEDICAL) injury might be a cut finger requiring sutures.

We are very specific and prescriptive about what constitutes First Aid and Medical. This takes out the ambiguity or interpretation of whether something is first aid and recordable or medical and reportable.

It is definitely worth getting everything recorded - but the workforce and unions have understand that it is not a punative exercise and will giv benefits in the long term.

Owen Donnelly
Medical Advisor
International SOS / Angola LNG Project
(Alternate: Barry Thompson)
Tel: (Via Aberdeen) 01224-333113, Option 1, Ext. 5488

OwenD :-)

--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Gail Collins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS
http://OHJobs.drmaze.net