Dear List,

How opportune! We have just been discussing forthcoming Themes, and had
pencilled in "gender and new media curating" for October, something
which, perhaps surprisingly, we haven't had as a theme yet.

Sometimes, I think things haven't changed that much since the 1960's
(especially, perhaps in the Fine Art Departments of regional
Universities, where men of a certain age are still in charge), but in
new media, I think that there is a different generation perhaps, but
ironically who might not be aware of the struggles around gender and
race that happened in education in the 1970's and 80's. So, let's get
our loons out, and have a think about whether new media is in a weird
time warp in relation to gender.

love and peace,

Beryl

On 2 Sep 2008, at 03:59, Marcia Tanner wrote:

> [...]
> think it would
> be wonderful for us to imagine what a  21st C. Cybernetic Serendipity
> might
> look like, and/or what a 1968 show might  have looked like if women
> artists had
> participated in it.   There were apparently NO women artists in the
> original
> 1968 exhibition.  Inspiring though that show was (I saw it) -- and
> Jasia
> Reichardt was  clearly a visionary -- there were surely some girls
> around then
> making  art with computers?
>
> Per Annick Bureaud of Leonardo/OLATS, here's the url for the  YASMIN
> discussion group on "Cybernetic Serendipity Redux":
> _http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin/_
> (http://www.media.uoa.gr/yasmin/)
> Go  down to the page to see the posts; you can register to participate
> ("subscribe",  upper left corner)
>
> And here are some more:
> _http://cyberdesign.ning.com_ (http://cyberdesign.ning.com)
>
> _http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=71923825014_
> (http://www.new.facebook.com/event.php?eid=71923825014)
>
> cheers,
> Marcia [Tanner]
> [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
>
> In a message dated 9/1/2008 7:26:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])  writes:
>
> Well,  yes, one can be light-hearted in response, but the fact remains
> that
> the  only woman formally involved in the discussion is the same one who
> curated  the original event... I for one would like to have believed
> that  her
> involvement in the mid-60's may have led to greater input by women
> into  the
> field a full two generations later. Sadly it appears  not.
>
> Cheers
> Vicki
>
> On 2/9/08 2:16 AM, "Simon Biggs"  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Those macho cyberneticists!  ;)
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Simon
>>

>>  Professor Simon Biggs
>> edinburgh college of art
>> www.eca.ac.uk

>> www.littlepig.org.uk
>> AIM/Skype:  simonbiggsuk
>>

>> From: Judith Rodenbeck  <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 12:21:05 -0400
>>  To: <[log in to unmask]>
>> Conversation:  [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Fwd: [OlatsNewsEnglish]
>> Cybernetics
>> Serendipity  Redux
>> Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] Fwd: [OlatsNewsEnglish]  Cybernetics
>> Serendipity Redux
>>
>> This is interesting. Is  it my imagination, or is Jasia Reichardt the
>> only
>> woman of the 12  discussants on this "redux"?
>>

>> On 9/1/08 10:18 AM,  "Grahm Beryl" <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought this may be of interest to curators in  particlar

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
School of Arts, Design, Media and Culture, University of Sunderland
Ashburne House,
Ryhope Road
Sunderland
SR2 7EE
Tel: +44 191 515 2896    [log in to unmask]
CRUMB web resource for new media art curators
http://www.crumbweb.org