the death of A.D Bradshaw late of Liverpool University was recently
announced, at the age of 82. His notable area of work as a biologist and
ecologist was in the evolution of tolerance of plants to heavy metal
contamination. This led on to much work on the revegetation of spoil tips such
as lead mines. Much of this work was at a time of less enlightenment as to the
value of mining archaeology, and for instance incorporated the destruction of
19thC engine houses and other structures on Shropshire lead mines. I have
seen a paper on this work, with particular attention to trial work on Welsh lead
mines, in the Mining Magazine, probably early 1980's. If anyone has details of
other papers relating to his work I would be grateful for details.

Alasdair Neill.