New Page 1
----- Original Message -----
From: Macpherson, Suzi
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 3:17 PM
Subject: FW: Writing across Boundaries website

Some members of this list, including PG students and early career researchers, might be interested in this website/information.

Dear Colleagues

Bob Simpson, an Anthropologist at Durham University, and Robin
Humphrey, a Sociologist at Newcastle University, have an ESRC (UK
Research Council) Researcher Development Initiative project on helping
third year doctoral students write up qualitative data. In addition to
the annual workshops we run at Durham, we have developed a website,
with the help of Rachel Douglas-Jones, another Durham anthropologist,
which we hope will be useful and stimulating to any social scientist
working with qualitative data and interested in issues relating to the
writing up of that data:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/writingacrossboundaries/

Any comments on the website would be greatly appreciated.

One reason for this (re)launch of the website is that we have just
developed a new feature, Writing on Writing (WoW), which contains
short pieces reflecting on the process of writing from a small number
of scholars who we feel have made a significant contribution to the
social science literature. The first piece is by the anthropologist,
Marilyn Strathern, and the next piece will be by William Outhwaite. We
have others in the bank from Liz Stanley, Julian Le Grand, Norman
Denzin and Bryan S. Turner, and several more promised. We are also
keen to develop a feature on Postgraduates on Writing (PoW), and hope
that WoW and PoW will become valued resources for those of us
interested in writing up qualitative data.

We would be very grateful if you could alert the social science
research postraduates in your institutions to this website.

With best wishes

Robin Humphrey and Bob Simpson

Napier University is the best modern university in Scotland* and number one in Scotland for graduate employability**
(*Guardian University Guide 2009)
(**HESA 2008)

This message is intended for the addressee(s) only and should not be read, copied or disclosed to anyone else out-with the University without the permission of the sender.
It is your responsibility to ensure that this message and any attachments are scanned for viruses or other defects. Napier University does not accept liability for any loss or damage which may result from this email or any attachment, or for errors or omissions arising after it was sent. Email is not a secure medium. Email entering the University's system is subject to routine monitoring and filtering by the University.
Napier University is a registered Scottish charity. Registration number SC018373