From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cecilia Gaposchkin
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Redemption of Crusading Vows - question

Dear all,

I have just been reading about the redemption of crusading vows.  One well documented case involving a nobleman's redemption involved his payment of a sum of money great enough to fund one miles for one year to go to the holy land. For this, the nobleman received his plenary indulgence.

Can someone tell me about the said "miles" who would go in the nobleman's stead. Would he received the spiritual benefits of crusading? Would he get a plenary indulgence? Is this a kind of "two for one" deal?  Or would the sum for the redemption, so calculated, be actually sent to the curial war chest, rather than actually fund a replacement crusader.

Thoughts and knowledge will be appreciated.

thanks
cecilia
********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html