Perhaps. The 1956 rubrics of Pius XII were a further simplification of the changes of Pius X, which were a simplification of those that followed Trent, so they are several layers removed from the more complex and varied late medieval practices.

Stan Metheny

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Wickstrom
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 12:17 AM
  Subject: [M-R] When vigils begin...

  John , my 1956 Breviarium Romanum (admittedly not medieval but retaining most medieval/early modern usages) suggests you are right about the commencement and relative 'trumps' of Vigils. I noted only two things in addition: in the case of a Vigil being "outranked" by a feast, the use of the Vigil lesson as the final lesson at Matins is optional (there is always a commemoration at Lauds). Also vigils appear to be of different ranks themselves, always "first class" they can be "semi double" (most I looked at) or "simple" (Christmas).

  best,

  jbw

  John  B. Wickstrom