Volumes have been written on both Vigils and Vigil as well as their respective evolutions, but here's a short & quick reply on a Sunday morning for our purposes here. Vigils is another term for the night office (aka Matins, Office of Readings, etc.). A vigil is a celebration of the eve of a feast. Cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigil for a brief overview.

Stan Metheny

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Cecilia Gaposchkin
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:29 AM
  Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 20. September

  Let me ask a question that I should really know the answer to. What is vigil, and how does it relate, if in any way, to vespers and or matins?  (has this already been covered? I way not following the earlier discussion)

  All I get from the Grove Dictionary of Music is:

  article url: http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com:80/subscriber/article/grove/music/47782
  Vigils
  (Lat., from vigilia: 'watch'). A service performed during the night within the monastic tradition of the early Church. See Matins.

  cecilia