From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

> 4)  Hildegard of Bingen (d. 1179).

> Two views of an illumination of H. with prior Volmar (_Liber Scivias_;
Hessische Landesbibliothek, Wiesbaden, Hs. 2 [the so-called Riesencodex], c.
1180):
> http://www.oglethorpe.edu/faculty/~j_bohart/images/hildegaard.JPG
> http://www.harpers.org/media/image/blogs/misc/hildegard.jpg

my understanding (from the introduction to the beautiful Corpus Christianorum
edition, but read many, many years ago) is that the original ms. of the
Scivias was destroyed in the Second Acute Collective Psychotic Episode and
what we have left is actually a copy --albeit a quite amazingly accurate one--
made by nuns of her abbey in the 1920s or so.

seems like i remember seeing, in the CC ed., a B&W plate of the original,
which appeared to be virtually identical to the color plate which that edition
published (i think that all of the illuminations were reproduced in that two
volume edition).

correct me, someone, before i hallucinate again.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]