--Original Message Text---
From: Paul Chandler
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:26:06 +0200

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Another article by Guarducci "Osservazioni sulla croce di Ercolano", in Bullettino dell'Istituto Archeologico Germanico 60-61 (1953-1954): 224-233 , later in her Scritti scelti (1983), is available, at least in part, at Google Books via this abbreviated URL (in Italian; if necessary search for "Ercolano"): <http://tinyurl.com/5htygt>

John's judicious comments are correct: Guarducci was a respected archeologist and epigrapher, but many thought that she was inclined to speculation and overstepping the evidence. It was she who proposed the reading "Petros eni" (Peter is here) of a graffito on the red wall of the paleo-Christian monument underneath the high altar of St Peter's Basilica as proof that it was Peter's burial place, but others have felt she was too enthusiastic in proposing a definitive interpretation of fragmentary and complex evidence.

The 1951 Holladay article I referred to earlier is available on JSTOR. -- Paul Chandler