Dear all,

A colleague and I are translating some material (about, yes, Louis IX), and we've come accross a passage dealing with Louis' relationship to the Jews that we're having trouble getting right.

Here it is:

Iudeos vero fenerantes super pignora, et si pro neccesitate humilis plebis ad persuasionem aliquorum de suo concilio tolerabat, tamen super litteris christianorum periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis, non permittebat eos ipsos nec alios publicos usurarios fenerari. Et ne huius litteras facerent compleri suis officialibus districtius prohibebat.

In particular, if anyone can shed light on the phrase "tamen super litteris christianorum periuria et coactina ministeria usurarie pravitatis" as much to translate it literally as to make sense of what it actually means (we've done the first but cannot manage the second),  we would be, as ever, grateful indeed.

thank you,

Cecilia