medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Re: [M-R] Redemption of Crusading Vows - question Cecelia,
    Yes, from one standpoint, you’re right, everything is contingent on God’s will.  But that’s really a view that emerged during the development of scholastic theology within universities of the late 12th-14th centuries.  There are all sorts of debates, for example, about whether God had to create the universe the way he did, or if he could have created a radically different universe.
    Stop and think about this.  If you really embrace the idea of everything being contingent on God’s will, then no action can be inherently good or evil.  Its goodness or evilness rests entirely on God’s decision to label that action good or evil.  For example, God could have declared murder good and charity evil. Later medieval theologians do explore these questions, but it represents a more complex approach to theology than most 11th century theologians contemplated.  I think that early medieval theologians very much operated on the assumption that penitential acts were commanded because things like prayer, fasting, and pilgrimage were inherently meritorious actions.

Andrew E. Larsen