Three things off the top of my head:

1)  Is your colleague concerned only (and this a rather large "only") with churches that modern scholars think are reasonably likely to have been built by -- or at least with the financial support of -- Late Roman emperors?  There are a lot of medieval ascriptions of buildings to, e.g., Constantine the Great that are no longer accepted today.

2)  For Constantine I there's been a lot of recent major publication in English whose footnoted discussions will lead to appropriate primary sources, e.g.
Curran, John R., _Pagan city and Christian capital : Rome in the fourth century_ (Clarendon Pr., 2000).
Holloway, R. Ross, _Constantine & Rome_ (Yale U. P., 2004)
Lenski, Noel, ed., _The Cambridge companion to the Age of Constantine_ (Cambridge U. P., 2006)
And an obvious primary source for him would be Eusebius' Bios of Constantine.

3)  Also obvious: Procopius, _Peri ktismaton_.

Best,
John Dillon

On Monday, September 8, 2008, at 2:24 pm, Ken Grant wrote:

> A colleague is looking for primary sources regarding churches built by
> Late Roman emperors.  My thanks in advance.
>
> Ken A. Grant
> Lecturer in History
> University of Texas Pan American

to: [log in to unmask]