Hello
When I was at British Library Learning, we set up an ongoing project
called Young Explorers using Geocaching, from 2003/4 onwards.
We used Geocaching as an exciting means to help young people develop
research skills that took them in and out of libraries, research
resources, museums and heritage places but in a stealthy, fun and also
physical way. They researched their clues to create a kind of story
trail about their places and challenged groups from other schools or
areas to follow their trails. We were creative with our caches e.g.
hiding sounds in sound pads (from greetings cards) and planting flower
bulbs etc.
See more on:
http://www.bl.uk/learning/tarea/proj/geo/geocaching.html

I think there is a great deal of possibility to connect up Geocaching
with the ideas that have been shared on this group for Show Us a Better
Way e.g. a map-based resource with blue plaques and heritage sites
related to famous people.

Best wishes
Bridget McKenzie
Director, Flow Associates