I am trying to find out about a seal attached to an 18th century legal document in our collection.  Can anyone point me to useful sources about 18th century seals –design, use, etc? I would like to establish if this is a personal seal and if so, how/why the design was chosen and when it might have been used.

Many thanks for anything pointing me in the right direction!

Please reply directly to me [log in to unmask]

Katharine Hogg

Librarian

Gerald Coke Handel Collection

40 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AZ

www.foundlingmuseum.org.uk

Tel. 020 7841 3606 / Fax 020 7841 3607

Next exhibition opens Wednesday 8th October :John Kindness: An English Interior