Middlesbrough Libraries  started a collection in March to fit in with our Mad March offers. All loans were free that month. We treat our Playaways exactly the same as all other spoken word formats, ie free to special needs borrowers (visually impaired and difficulty holding a book) and charge everyone else. 21 day loan £1.00 hire.
We don't provide headphones although we do sell them if required.
Batteries are more of a problem as the normal length of a book requires two AA. Staff are instructed to insert fresh batteries with each loan and to save returned batteries for recycling. This is clearly an additional and somewhat hidden cost to us over the cost of the playaways themselves. We have discussed the possibility of putting rechargeable batteries in but that is also extra work for the staff. We would also need some kind of sanction if borrowers took our batteries out and put their own in.

We got into Playaways because we'd previously had e-audio where the book is downloaded onto an MP3 player. They  weren't particularly popular  because the downloads weren't compatible with iPod so missed any potential 18 - 30 market. We pre-loaded MP3 players ourselves to lend to housebound readers but they often found the buttons were too fiddly. (I write as someone who needs reading glasses when I text!) Playaways were deemed a sort of beginners MP3!

I've also just checked the issue stats and found them to be disappointing to say the least. Need to do more work against income to see whether the borrowers are likely to have been ordinary feepayers or special needs but either way we will be taking a long hard look at the format.

We're also looking at MP3 CDs as a possible replacement for Playaways - this for the uninitiated is where an entire book is on one CD type thing. I'm advised you can play them on computers, DVDs and some of the more modern MP3 compatible CD players. Hope this helps!

Alyson Hogarth
Stock Manager
01642 729420

Russell Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries" <[log in to unmask]>

24/09/2008 10:47
Please respond to
Russell Allen <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Playaways - BBC Digital Audiobooks

Dear Colleagues

I am looking for feedback on the above new media in auidobooks.  We are hoping to add collections of these to one brand new library and one newly refurbished.

Whilst customer feedback would be interesting, I am particularly looking for library authorities' practical experiences, including for children's items: All information you can provide will be really useful, we have to move ahead with this quite quickly, or not at all!

I will summarise for the list,

Russell Allen

Librarian, West Sussex Library Service.

Any opinions or statements expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Middlesbrough Council. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Middlesbrough Council does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended, please call the sender.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may be legally privileged, and are solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this in error, please do not disclose any information to anyone and notify the sender at the above address. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted, in reliance on the contents, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Middlesbrough Council's computer systems and communications may be monitored to ensure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.

Save energy, money and the environment - is it really necessary to print this message?

** This mail nas been scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content. **