In Doncaster the entire library serivce has been reorganised such that not one post requires library qualifications or experience, such assets are merely desirable.  Even the Head of Libraries post!  A 'Save Doncaster's Libraries' campaign succeeded only in making the Council go through all the proper procedures.  The bullying and harassment of staff are such that most just are glad to leave.  This in an MBC with woeful literacy levels.  The Councillors are useless and ignorant of facts and events and our Mayor is there deposit a vote of no-confidence!
Doncaster's situation may be bad or may typical, I don't know.  All I know is there is now no future in Librarianship until major changes and positive support are physically backed up from the upper echelons of political life.  As for transferring between the sectors?  'you're 'aving a giraffe'!

Lynne Coppendale BA(Hons), DipIS, MCLIP
Librarian, Danum School Technology College, Doncaster
Chair, SLA - Yorkshire and Humberside

> Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:47:07 +0100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Tim for Minister of Morons?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Frances Hendrix wrote:
> > John Briggs wrote:

> >> I think there's a PhD to be had in examining the role of the Laser
> >> Foundation in the destruction of the public library service.
> >
> > what a silly person you are!
>
> I'm perfectly serious. I live in Hampshire, where a large number of
> professional librarians lost their jobs as a result of Tim Coates' report,
> funded by the Laser Foundation. The Laser Foundation funded a series of
> reports which, almost annually, attacked and undermined the public library
> service. But you know this already: I pointed it out at the time (here). The
> irony, as I suggested to Tim Coates himself, was that no attention was paid
> to interlending!
>
> But thank you for your constructive contribution to this debate.
>
> John Briggs

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!