I am having a headache with Microsoft Word.

You can use 'Template and Add-ins' to apply an Metadata schema to a Word
document (using an XSD schema file).

This allows you to highlight the Word document and mark it up with Metadata
tags (related to the schema used). You can then save the doc as an XML file
(option > save data only) - this creates a XML data file of the Word document.

I want to use this XML file as the Metadata source for several documents I
load up to a repository - this does work (tested and successful) - but the
file I used was handwritten. I would like it to be generated from Word.

I can have already created an XSD file and applied it to a Word doc - but it
was my own schema - all good (technically) but I would like to use a
standard schema, for example the LOM, IMS or Dublin Core - please see XSD
files in:

http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/downloads/LOM/lomv1.0/xsd/

However, when I try to create an XSD file that references the LOM - Word
cannot / will not validate the XSD and allow me to use it.

Simply trying to upload an XSD file doesn't work either - as 'apparently'
there are some issues associated with it that does not let Word validate it
- see:

http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/downloads/LOM/lomv1.0/xsd/lom.xsd

Does anyone know how I can create an LOM based XSD file that Word will let
me use to mark-up a document?

Many thanks.
Ben

P.S. - Why Word? Well it is a low-cost solution - and being in Word means
that other colleagues could use a template doc and the XSD file to create
XML - without too much hassle or technical training.