University College Cork, O’Rahilly Building, Room 1.24

Thursday, 23 October 2008. 17.00. All welcome.

‘Hearing Voices in Isabella d'Este's Correspondence’

Prof. Deanna Shemek, University of California, Santa Cruz

Brief Description: A powerful strain of scholarship in Renaissance studies consistently presents the project of editing writings by women as an effort to render audible the long-silenced voices of female subjects. My talk, framed by my labors on the translation of over seven hundred letters by Isabella d'Este (1474-1539), marchesa of Mantua, will consider the power of this figure of speech and argue for a more complex, more theoretically considered notion of voice and agency than appears to be at work in these claims.

For further information, contact Mark Chu at the address below.

Dr Mark Chu

Senior Lecturer and Head of Department

Department of Italian

University College Cork

Cork

Ireland

Tel. +353 21 490 2335/2486

Fax. +353 21 490 3263

Email [log in to unmask]

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/italian-studies.html