All,
   Bob's point about the multi-phase process is correct, but only if the Plag is nearly pure anorthite.  However, I think that such a heterogeneous reaction is poorly described as exsolution.    We have seen that rutile needles in mantle pyrope sometimes have REE-bearing loveringite-crichtonite intergrown with rutile (Wang et al., 1999, CMP).  That is hard to accept as an internal reaction.
cheers,
eric