All,
    Bob's point about the multi-phase process is correct, but only if
the Plag is nearly pure anorthite.  However, I think that such a
heterogeneous reaction is poorly described as exsolution.    We have
seen that rutile needles in mantle pyrope sometimes have REE-bearing
loveringite-crichtonite intergrown with rutile (Wang et al., 1999,
CMP).  That is hard to accept as an internal reaction.
cheers,
eric