Hi Terry,

I have used the two articles published back to back in the NEJM on H.
Pylori (one positive and one negative) in my session on Type I errors.
There is different outcome methodology used and therefore different
results.  These were carried into two meta-analyses by Jaakkimainin and
Laine on the same topic.

RCTs

Article #1. McColl K, Murray L, El-Omar E, et. al., Symptomatic benefit
from eradicating Helicobacter Pylori infection in patients with nonulcer
dyspepsia New Engl J Med, 1998; 339; 1869-74.
Article #2. Blum AL, Talley NJ, O'Morain C, et. al., Lack of effect of
treating Helicobacter Pylori infection in patients with nonulcer
dyspepsia New Engl J Med, 1998; 339; 1875-81

Meta analyses
Article 1: Jaakkimainen RL, Boyle E, Tudiver F., Is Helicobacter pylori
associated with non-ulcer dyspepsia and will eradication improve
symptoms?  A meta-analysis.  BMJ 1999; 319: 1040-4.
Article 2: Laine L, Schoenfield P, Fennerty MB., Therapy for
Helicobacter pylori in patients with non-ulcer dyspepsia: A
meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials.  Ann Intern Med, 2001;
134: 361-9

For really bad articles, I've used the following in the first two
Journal Clubs I give to the first year students (but none are RCTs):

#1: on study design:
Good:
 Gold DR, Wang X, Wypij D, et. al. Effects of cigarette smoking on lung
function in adolescent boys and girls. New Engl J Med 1996; 335: 931-7

Bad:
Reneman L, Booij J, de Bruin K, et. al. Effects of dose, sex, and long
term abstention from use on toxic effects of MDMD (ecstasy) on brain
serotonin neurons.. Lancet 2001; 358: 1864-9

Just ugly:
Sporer KA, Firestone J. Clinical course of crack cocaine body stuffers.
Ann Emerg Med 1997; 29: 596-601

#2: on sources of bias:

Good:
 None

Bad:
Matser EJT, Kessels AG, Lezak MD, et. al.  Neuropsychological
impairment in amateur soccer players. JAMA 1999; 282: 971-3
and
Stenestrand U, Wallentin L for the Swedish Register of Cardiac
Intensive care (RIKS-HIA). Early statin treatment following acure
myocardial infarctin and 1-year survival. JAMA. 2001; 285: 430-6

Also ugly:
Rusnak RA, Borer JM, Fastow JS. Misdiagnosis of acute appendicitis:
Common features discovered in cases after litigation. Am J Emerg Med.
1994; 12: 397-402

Hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Dan

Dan Mayer, MD
Professor of Emergency Medicine
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY,  12208
Ph; 518-262-6180
FAX; 518-262-5029
E-mail; [log in to unmask]

>>> Terry Shaneyfelt <[log in to unmask]> 9/25/2008 2:32:18 PM

Does any one have a good example of a fairly flawed therapy article for
course that I teach in EBM. Seems most of the articles I find arent too
badly
designed. Students always want to see some bad articles to critique.

Thanks in advance

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
the Internet at www.amc.edu.