   I agree with Paul: goes against the principle of finality of assessment. What would retrospect marking be for in any case? Concessions? 'reasonable adjustments'?
  without the insight into how was the student advised before by the university, and how the university anticipated 'disclosure', I should say that it is unlikely to succeed. I can only guess that  the courts would very much be concerned in opening a window for many other cases of people with degenerative and hidden disabilities.
  Best, Andy

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Hubert
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:35 PM
  Subject: Re: graduate revisiting marks

  In the first instance the ex-student would need to make a case to the institution by attempting to lodge a late appeal. This would have to be justified on the basis that the information and evidence supporting the grounds of appeal could not have been lodged before, so the case is going to rest on its particular facts. If the HEI refuses to accept it, there would then be the opportunity to go to the OIA or possibly to use another route (e.g. judicial review).

  A previous case might be indicative of the chances of success, but there are many possible variables. For example, how robust is the argument that the student could not reasonably have been expected to realise that she had problems requiring investigation during the course if they were having a significant impact on her studies and performance in assessment? Did she ever enquire to the HEI about the issues and if so was she wrongly advised? Why is the diagnosis etc only available now? Does performance in assessment vary in a way that supports the argument about effect? Was the outcome in some way marginal or would she effectively be asking for a significant uplift across the board as implied by 'regrading'? (In other words, is it clear that this is the kind of information which if it had been known at the time would have affected the academic decision?) If specific assessments were to be remarked is there a clear way of allowing for the disability in applying marking criteria without affecting the core competencies being assessed?

  Generally HEIs are expected to make appropriate adjustments for disabled students during the course. There is a small (but no doubt perfectly formed) window for appealing afterwards. Asking for a different award more than a year after the fact is a hard ask and goes against the principle of finality of assessment, so I would think the chances are significantly against. Nevertheless I've been surprised before.

  Paul