Dear all

May I quickly introduce myself to the list – I work for ATOC, the trade body for train companies, and am the coordinator for a lot of work on cycling and rail. I also provide the secretariat for the Cycle Rail Task Force.

My focus is on cycle facilities at stations. I’m interested in any research on the following topics:

-          Whether better cycle facilities would increase rail passenger ridership. We are doing quite a bit of research on this ourselves, and I am in touch with Moshe at Oxford Uni, but any other examples please let me know.

-          I should also mention I’m in touch with Henrietta at UWE and well aware of her work on these issues.

-          I’m also interested in whether cyclists would pay to park their bikes securely, and if so how much (are there any real-world UK examples – I’m aware of Finsbury Park but I don’t think that is broadly applicable for various reasons). Any evidence on this would be very helpful.

-          On a more practical note, I’m looking for examples of double-decker cycle parking in the UK, as in the limited space available at rail stations this could be a serious option. We already know about the Dutch experience, as Ned Rail, who own Northern, are one of our members, but again I’d like to see if anyone’s installed any decked racks in the UK (possibly Cambridge?)

I also look at the thorny issue of bikes on trains. Please feel free to contact me about any particular issues you may be having and I can try to help or put you in touch with the right people at the TOC.

Just for completeness, my other day job roles are coordinating our project on Station Travel Plans, and managing our national bus-rail ticket product, PlusBus (www.plusbus.info)

Best regards,

Alex Veitch
Integrated Transport Manager

ATOC
Tel: 0207 841 8052
Mob: 07825 376 130

The contents of this email and any associated files are for the addressee only and should be treated as confidential. Unless you are the named addressee you cannot copy, use or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately. The email has originated from the Association of Train Operating Companies (an unincorporated trade association) or one of it’s corporate entities: ATOC Limited (3069033), Rail Settlement Plan Limited (3069042), Rail Staff Travel Limited (3069020) or NRES Limited (3691898) each of these companies are registered in England and Wales and with a common registered address - 3rd Floor, 40 Bernard Street, London WC1N 1BY. Neither entity listed herein shall be liable for any defamatory statements. Outbound messages are checked for all currently known viruses.