Second Call for Papers
Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting
Las Vegas, NV
Last Day for Session Registration: October 16, 2008
Please note that sessions will likely fill earlier than the final deadline.

Geographies of Media
Co-Sponsored by the Political Geography Specialty Group, the Cultural
Geography Specialty Group, the Critical Geography Specialty Group, the
Communication Geography Specialty Group and Aether: The Journal of Media
Geography

We are seeking papers that examine geographies of the various forms of
media, including cinema, television, the Internet, music, art, advertising,
newspapers and magazines, video and animation etc.  These sessions should
include contributions to current issues surrounding these media, beginning
with constructions of space & place, cultural, society, and identity.

We are hoping to present a wide range of both topic and context and seek
participants interested in the geographical implications - social,
political, cultural, and economic - that are often contained within the
spaces and places of different forms of media. Media extend beyond their
original form and so papers should also envision these geographies as part
of a broader industrial and political complex in which culture is an
economic commodity set within the broader frame of a global and postmodern
era, and with the links between these realms and our daily lived
experiences, from our cities to streets to living rooms to imaginations.
These contexts invite inquiries into the production, distribution,
exhibition, and consumption of all types of media and we encourage critical,
pedagogical and discursive contributions. We would also welcome inquiries
from anyone wishing to act as a discussant in a session.

This year includes a special session on the representation of place in Latin
American film and a $100 award from Aether for the best presentation given
in any of the Media Geography sessions

To present a paper you must do the following before October 16, 2008:

1. Compose an abstract following the AAG guidelines

2.  Register online with the AAG to obtain a personal ID number

3.  Email Presenter Identification Number (PIN) and abstract before October
16, 2008 to Jim Craine <[log in to unmask]>

For further information please contact:
.	Jim Craine <[log in to unmask]>
.	Chris Lukinbeal <[log in to unmask]>
.	Jason Dittmer <[log in to unmask]>