BCS-FACS Evening Seminar -- Joint event with
the London Mathematical Society

"The Equations of Computer Science"

Professor John Tucker (Swansea University)
       11th November 2008
             17.45
(Refreshments will be served from 17.30)

London Mathematical Society
De Morgan House
57-58 Russell Square
London WC1B 4HS
United Kingdom

The seminar is free of charge and open to everyone.

If you would like to attend, please email

  Paul Boca [[log in to unmask]]

by ***** 7th November 2008 *****

Abstract

Throughout science and engineering our knowledge of the
world is most elegantly and usefully expressed in
equations. Most fields have  equations they use all the
time and are treasured for the profound insights they
reveal through their study. Several equations are truly
famous, especially those of physics. But what are the
equations of Computer Science?

This lecture will examine the role of equations in
specifying data, software and hardware. I will show how
skills in equation formation have transformed our capacity
to analyse computing systems of all kinds. I will explain
the historical context and development of these ideas in
algebra, logic, and computability theory and how they were
transformed to solve practical questions of programming.
Finally, I will discuss how these conceptual insights and
methods are finding new applications in the foundations of
physics.