Apologies for cross-posting.

WHONIVERSAL APPEAL: A Postgraduate Interdisciplinary Conference on Doctor Who and all its Spin-offs
Cardiff University, 14-16 November 2008

Registration for this conference is now open - the provisional programme and details of how to register are included below.
Posters for the conference are available, please email us if you would like to be sent one ([log in to unmask]). Please direct any queries to that email account, or [log in to unmask]

All the best,
Melissa, Alex, Mark, Ross and Phil.
http://www.dedoc.net/WhoniversalAppeal/
_____________________________________

WHONIVERSAL APPEAL
A Postgraduate Interdisciplinary Conference on Doctor Who and all its Spin-offs
Cardiff University, 14-16 November 2008

***Provisional Programme***
Note that individual days are currently open to rearrangement, and the discussion panels will not be confirmed until closer to the conference itself.

FRIDAY 14th November
Subversion/Fan Studies:
*	Ross Garner:  Revisiting the Depths: Special Effects, ‘Mass Camp’ Nostalgia and Fan Readings of ‘Underworld’
*	K. Faith Lawrence: Torchwood - Subverting Fandom
*	Erica Moore: Constructing a Space for the Subversive: Critical Cultural Commentary in Doctor Who
Classics/History:
*	Amanda Potter: Beware of Geeks (Mis)quoting Greeks
*	Tony Keen: Caecilus est pater, Medicus est Dominus Tempi: Doctor Who, Romans, and the Cambridge Latin Course
*	Matthew Kilburn: Who’s history? Doctor Who fan critics, historicals and pseudo-historicals.
Discussion Panel 1

SATURDAY 15th November
Masculinity/Sexual Identity:
*	Sarah  Gilligan:  Fashioning Masculinity and Desire in Torchwood
*	John Paul Green: The Regeneration Game: The Changing Faces of the Heroism In Doctor Who
*	Blake Wilder: Captain Jack Harkness, "An Impossible Thing": Bisexuality, Difference, and Identity
Sociology/Social Sciences:
*	C. Gilroy: Lumic’s Cyber Revolution: An Allegory of Empire
*	Lisa Kerrigan: "I don’t know if it’s Marxism in action or a West-End musical". Class, Citizenship & Culture in ‘New’ Doctor Who
*	Matthew Jones: Army of Ghosts: Sight, Knowledge and the Invisible Terrorist in Doctor Who
*	Jessica Frey: "Whose Doctor?"
Philosophy:
*	Melissa Beattie: A Kiss is Just a Kiss (Except When It’s Not): Life and Breath in the Whoniverse
*	Allyson Shaffer: The Ontological Trouble of the Blinovitch Limitation Effect: Time Travel and the Self and the Self
*	Katie Reing: Who's Real: The Doctor’s Lacanian Struggle
*	Anindya Raychaudhuri: "I name thee": Political Implications of Names and Naming in Doctor Who.
Discussion Panel 2

SUNDAY 16th November (half day)
Technology:
*	Neil Perryman: Doctor Who and the Convergence of Media
*	Peter Talbot-Jones: Dr Who and the Innovation Generation: A One-off Episode
*	Charlotte Stevens: The Commercial Electronic: Doctor Who and the BBC's Radiophonic Workshop
Discussion Panel 3

***Registration is now open!***
To register, please send an email to our chair, Melissa, at [log in to unmask] with the following information:
Name, address, phone number, email, university affiliation (if any), number of days you plan to attend, subtotal of fees payable and details of the method of payment. We accept cheques, bank transfers, and PayPal for those outside UK. We will respond to your email as soon as we can.
The entry fee for all three days is £20; a single day is £12 for Friday or Saturday and £6 for Sunday. We will allow purchase at the door at our discretion. Some meals are included in the ticket price. If anything is unclear, please feel free to ask.

Accommodation: if you wish to attend, we advise that you book accommodation as soon as possible as Wales are playing Canada in the rugby on Saturday 15th. We have a list of local B&Bs and hotels for attendees - just ask when you register.

We will issue the finalised programme closer to the event - please watch our website for details: http://www.dedoc.net/WhoniversalAppeal/

Archive of list messages may be found at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/classicsgrads
Visit the same site to change your subscription settings.
All queries regarding the list should be directed to: