Hi Maria,

Initial questions:
1) What's present in crystallisation/purification buffers?
2) Are any other ligand visible for the 9sigma peak?
3) Does the 9 sigma peak also have a peak in an anomalous difference map?

Assuming 1.7A is accurate (and with 1.5A resolution, you'd hope it
would be!) a metal-ion - water interaction is looking less likely.
Take a look at Marjorie Harding's papers and website for target metal
ion - ligand distances, and the closest you'll see is water:Mg2+, at
2.07.

http://tanna.bch.ed.ac.uk/newtargs_06.html

So one would assume it is a covalently bonded compound.
So back to question 1.

What's in your buffers?
A quick search for bond length tables suggests Carbon-Sulphur (1.8)
and Carbon-Chlorine at 1.7.

hope this helps

David

--