I hadn't realized phenix.refine handles this differently.

If I start with an mtz file from truncate, with F, SIGF, IMEAN, SIGIMEAN all available,
the default for phenix.refine seems to be to work with IMEAN, SIGIMEAN.

From the log file . . .

Intensities converted to amplitudes for use in refinement.

Number of F-obs in resolution range:                   266875
Number of F-obs <= 0:                                  22532
Refinement resolution range: d_max =  25.4557
                             d_min =   2.0000

Fobs statistics after all cutoffs applied:

Miller array info: None
Observation type: xray.amplitude
Type of data: double, size=244343

And then later in the log . . .

basic_wilson_outliers    = 186
extreme_wilson_outliers  = 128
beamstop_shadow_outliers = 9
total                    = 197

And this gives 244146 reflections to use in refinement.

So it looks as if the weak data simply disappears.

Pete