On Sep 9, 2008, at 8:12 AM, Phoebe Rice wrote:

> Thanks for all the interesting answers so far!
>
> The anisotropy issue is one that got me worrying about
> truncate for data from DNA-containing crystals in
> particular - and the fact that since its a default in ccp4i,
> new people have stopped worrying about whether or not they
> should use it.
>
> The DNAs usually stack end-to-end, and thus are very often
> aligned with a particular axis.  Since all those nice flat
> bases are ~3.4A apart, there are often whomping spots in
> only one direction at ~3.4A (even if the DNA isn't even half
> the total scattering mass).  So even if the overall
> diffraction limits are roughly isotropic, in certain
> resolution shells isotropy is still a bad assumption.
>
>   Phoebe

We have a similar phenomenon with RNA, even if it is more globular.

If I refine with phenix.refine on I's rather than F's, and avoid
truncate, I have noticed the maps look slightly different.  In one
case the Mn cluster at 2.0 Å resolution is better defined in the
sigmaA-weighted 2Fo-Fc map made from truncate/refmac than it is in the
sigmaA-weighted 2Fo-Fc map made from phenix.refine.

I wonder if truncate is actually helping more than hurting in this case?