Hello.

I am working with a protein that turns a yellowish-brown color when it is
concentrated to around 2 mg/ml or higher in a small volume (a few hundred
uL).  I was wondering if the protein bound a metal or other prosthetic
group that would give it this color?  The protein's color somewhat
resembles iron binding proteins, but there is no peak in the 400 nm range
that would suggest heme, and an iron sulfur cluster is not that likely
since there are only five cysteines in the protein.  Proteins with
structures homologous to the one I am studying bind magnesium, but are not
know to bind other metals.  Any information about what this color might
suggest about the protein or how I could analyze possible bound metals or
prosthetic groups using only a small amount of protein would be helpful.

Matt