I haven't done TA cloning in a very long time. Typically, TA cloning is
done with blunt-ended DNA fragments that have been modified by terminal
transferase. Normally, a blunt-ended vector digest is treated with
terminal transferase and TTP. (If the vector is cut by non-blunt-ended
restriction endonucleases, it must be filled in with Klenow or
equivalent before adding the T. PCR fragments must be treated with
terminal transferase and ATP, or if using Taq (not recommended these
days with high-fidelity polymerases available) a significant fraction of
PCR products will already have the A overhang. Ligation will result in
the insert being inserted (supposedly) randomly in forward and reverse
orientations. We don't do this method anymore because it is too
problematic and too time-consuming. A double digest with two different
overhangs (both vector and PCR product) is much preferred, and results
in a high percentage of recombinants with the correct orientation. We
usually overdigest PCR products and vectors for at least 3 hr to ensure
double-cutting. Phosphatase treatment of the vector after double digest
prevents re-ligation of empty plasmid that has only been cleaved by one
enzyme. RE digestion of PCR products requires at least 3 additional
nucleotides in front of the recognition site. We usually add TGC in
front of the recognition site for all PCR primers. Unfortunately in your
case, NheI and BamHI have the same 3' C overhang, so double digestion
with these two enzymes will result in a random orientation of your PCR
product in the vector. I would recommend using a different RE for one of
the sites to ensure correct orientation of the PCR product when ligated.
We routinely use NdeI and PstI for most of our expression plasmid
constructs (assuming these recognition sites are not present in our
vector outside the cloning region--this is typically a good pair for pET
vectors, and is a good double digest), as NdeI has a start codon within
it. (NcoI is another possibility, if your first codon after the start
begins with "G"). For details, see our lab wiki with time-tested
methods:
http://capsicum.colgate.edu/chwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Protein+Engineering+Protocols

Cheers,

Roger S. Rowlett