Hi Meg,

ethanol is often used in a HIC elution buffer as it is good at
breaking hydrophobic/hydrophoic interactions. (Detergents or
isopropanol can be used to do the same thing). But, as with all
things, tolerance to ethanol depends upon your protein.

At pH 5, I would guess that Citrate or Acetate buffers are most useful.
See http://www.liv.ac.uk/buffers/ for buffer recipes.

As for dilution of your sample, optimisation of the gradient you use
can reduce the volume your peak elutes in.

Regards,

David

--
David C. Briggs PhD