You may be alluding to the idea of not "reinventing the wheel." I have heard
this argument against reading original sources many times, and do not agree
with it. I would say that Copernicus reinvented the wheel, as did
Lobachevski, and Einstein. Their discoveries were made, I think, at least in
part because they were trying to understand things from their most basic
origins, and going back to the sources. Sometimes I wonder whether in 100
years a Freshman in college will be able to prove the Pythagorean theorem,
or whether he will just look at the proof-requester with condescending
incredulity: "are you stupid? everybody knows that!".

Jacob Keller

ps I recognize that the above was probably not what you meant...

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
Dallos Laboratory