Hi, I have a protein in which two domains (that can be homology
modeled with a reasonably high degree of confidence though obviously
not beyond question) are connected by a 120 amino acid linker, the
whole protein is around 600 amino acids. I have observed by CD that
when a ligand binds there is a decrease in alpha helix and an increase
in beta sheet of a magnitude that would correspond to around 60 amino
acids moving from helix to sheet. Small angle x-ray scattering shows a
compaction of the structure on ligand binding. My question is, does
anyone know of a way of analysing the primary sequence to identify
where these structural changes are most likely to occur? I think that
low probability scores in the secondary structure prediction might
indicate an element that could exist in two secondary structure states
but this seems a little unsatisfying. Thanks for your suggestions.
Regards,

Nathan

Nathan Cowieson
Monash Center for Synchrotron Science