From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marika Sherwood [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, 15 September 2008 7:04 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 'Black Boy' pubs

Has anyone done any research on why we have so many pubs with this name?

I have been sent an article on a pub by that name in St.Mary Cray. Suggests that referred the name referred to meeting places for loyalist royalists during the Cromwell era – describes Charles II as having ‘Spanish ancestry, and as a consequence had very black hir and olive skin. His mother referred to him as ‘the black boy’ in a letter written when he was a toddler, and the name stuck’.

Marika