Marika (and list)

The most likely sources are Edinburgh University Archives ( via [log in to unmask]) and the Lothian Health Services Archive (via its own website at http://www.lhsa.lib.ed.ac.uk/contact/email.html).  However, both archives and Special Collections at Edinburgh are in the throes right now of moving into revamped accommodation which is due to open to students and researchers at the end of September, so I suggest that you/we hold off for a month or two unless there is something that you are wanting urgently.

The Special Collections in Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Dundee Universities are all potential sources for photographs of pre-1900 photographic groups that include African and Asian students and graduates.  Also the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Physicians of Edinburgh, and Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow; each has its own library and archives.

And, of course, all universities and professional institutes and college founded in the C19 and earlier - Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, London and its colleges, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, Lampeter, TCD, the universities of Belfast, Dublin, Cork and Galway - etc. etc.  Schools too usually have collections of group and class photographs going back to their foundation and/or the invention of photography.  What have I missed out, and where do I stop?

Google will find their web pages and contact details.  There is probably a research project here for someone - has the field ever been surveyed as a Black and Asian resource?

Aye

Peter

Peter B Freshwater MA MCLIP FSAScot
43 Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh EH12 5QQ, Scotland
Telephone 0044 (0)131 337 7049