From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Angela Allison
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: photos of black people in Britain

the earliest that springs immediately to mind is John Richard Archer
Born: 8th June 1863, Blake St nr Lime Street Stn, Liverpool
Died: 1932
Family Background: His father, Richard Archer, was a Barbadian ship steward his mother, Mary Theresa Burns was Irish born.
Key Details: Archer was a photography student from Liverpool who developed an interest in local politics. As a young man Archer had left Liverpool & traveled the world living for periods of time in the West Indies, North America & Canada. He & his wife, Bertha, a black Canadian, set up home at 55 Brynmaer Road, at the south end of Battersea Park. Battersea had been the home of the Anti-Slavery Clapham Sect, an organization led by Granville Sharpe & Thomas Clarkson.
Archer earned his living as a photographer, with a studio at 214 Battersea Park Road, London.