"The Drake Jewelwas presented to Drake between 1586-8 in recognition of
his success fighting against the spanish in alliance with the cimaroons
(escaped African slaves). a maroon called Pedro helped Drake to capture
50k worth of gold and silver from the Spanish in Panama."
source: article by Harry Kelseyfound at: http://www.oxforddnb.com