I attended as a speaker the 1807 Commemoration project Conference at York University on Thursday and Friday. Fabian was also there; as were  some other people who are members or are on the BASAJISC network.

Fabian and I were able to stress that whatever criticisms can be made of exhibitions around the country last year, many museums, archives and libraries would not have been well placed to have undertaken if it had not been for the BASA 1999 Ethnic Minority Archives Conference, the working party that followed, and all the work done by many institutions to improve their knowledge and accessibility of relevant resources. I was also able to say that BASA and BASAJISC members were heavily involved in projects around the country last year.

As the number of people who are involved in detailed work on the history of the Black and Asian presence and in slavery and abolition grows, BASA should be able to build up its membership and increase its network influence.

It would be really helpful if the Committee would consider how to undertake improved promotion of BASA, and sort out the current apparent uncertainty over subscriptions and the non-mailing out of newsletters to members who may have lapsed subscriptions because they have not received reminders. The Committee can report on its decisions at the AGM later in the year and ask members attending for any other suggestions on promoting the BASA profile.

Sean

Sean Creighton
Agenda Services: Development & Heritage Projects
History & Social Action Publications
020 8640 2014
www.seancreighton.co.uk
Website updated August, inc. PDF of  Friendly Societies Research Group Newsletter 16 - July 2008