Dear colleagues,
The National Collections Strategy was officially launched at last week's Society of Archivists’ Conference and The National Archives is now asking for feedback on the strategy's vision, aims and principles and suggestions for its successful implementation.  The three-month consultation period will end on 30 November 2008 and a review of the findings will be published on The National Archives website by the end of February 2009.  A link to the key document, questions for consideration and information on how to respond can be found below.

Overview
The National Collections Strategy is an initiative to identify in what areas the documentary heritage of England and Wales is under represented or not represented in archives and to address the reasons why.  Its aim is to ensure that the records of key events, of the lives and activities of individuals and communities and of public, private and charitable organisations are retained in the most appropriate places, preserved and made easily available for as many purposes as possible.

Through collaborative partnerships, The National Archives will provide a framework of support, help and guidance in developing individual archive strategies: for example, for the health and business sectors, for the performing arts and sporting events, and for websites and digital information.

A consultative panel of representatives from archival and other relevant bodies has been established to oversee the implementation of the National Collections Strategy.  The Terms of Reference for the panel are now available online: http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/operate/meetings/strategy/default.htm

Consultation process
The strategy document has been published at http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/archives/national-collections-strategy.htm where you'll find the following questions for consideration, though general comments are also welcome.  Please let us know too, if you would be happy with our contacting you for further feedback:

1.      Do we need a National Collections Strategy?
2.   If so, is the approach to building new collections or supporting and nurturing ‘at risk’ collections as outlined in the Strategic Aims and Principles, the right one?

3.   How do we identify gaps in the nation’s archive collections and existing collections which might be deemed ‘at risk’?

4.   Which sectors, themes or formats are endangered and would benefit from strategies?
5.   What will the big challenges be and what would make a ‘successful’ strategy?
6.   How do we open debate with the broadest range of communities and how can we encourage continuing engagement from them?

7.   How can we best communicate progress on the development of strategies: through The National Archives website and those of other stakeholders? mailing lists or online forums? meetings or seminars?

How to respond
Either as individuals or on behalf of groups and organisations:

Please encourage as many people to respond as possible - the success of the strategy relies on your support!
Thanks,
Cathy

Cathy Smith | Collections Strategies Manager | Research & Collections Development
The National Archives | Kew | Richmond | Surrey TW9 4DU | 020 8392 5330 x2064  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

National Archives Disclaimer

This email message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential to The National Archives. If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments. In such a case, please notify the sender by return email immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.