While I would agree that archives assistants often have excellent
qualifications and in many cases long experience in one office that may give
them greater knowledge of the collections than some archivists, in the local
authority sector at least any suggestion of salary recommendations has been
overtaken by the process of job evaluation. I believe this also operates in
HE.
In our own office the archive assistants were initially downgraded as a
result of the rather blunt instrument of the evaluation computer programme
that fails to take full account of such a varied job. However, they were
upgraded again on appeal when they were able to present evidence of the full
range of duties, responsibilities and knowledge required.

Liz Rees
Chief Archivist
Tyne & Wear Archives Service
Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4JA
Tel (direct) 0191 277 2241; (switchboard) 0191 232 6789
Fax 0191 230 2614
E-mail [log in to unmask]
Website www.tyneandweararchives.org.uk

Become a fan of Tyne & Wear Archives Service
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newcastle-Upon-Tyne-United-Kingdom/Tyne-Wear-A
rchives-Service/22644543768