I have been discussing a tricky problem, and I hope someone here might
have some ideas.  Basically, the questions revolve around how many
science blogs there are, and whether uptake of blogging by scientists
has been slow.  Obviously we could look at the number of blogs and when
they started, but how to get a good estimate?

The good news is that we can define the population fairly well, as
Technorati has a reasonably comprehensive list of blogs.  We can
obviously look at a blog and see whether it is a science blog, and also
when it was started (and stopped?) but that takes time.  So, can anyone
suggest an efficient way of sampling the blogosphere?

Either respond to me, or better on the blog post and FriendFeed room
where we are discussing this:
<http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/09/how_many_blogs_are_there.php>
<http://beta.friendfeed.com/e/a774eda4-6162-4b06-84ed-6ad3b7b4f40e/How-would-you-go-about-quantifying-the-statement/>
I can provide a summary later.

Hm, and whilst I have your attention, if anyone know of any other stats
bloggers, can you email me a link to their blog?  I know of a couple
(Andrew Gelman and Radford Neal), but I'm sure there are many more.  If
I get a non-negligible response, I will of course blog about it.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/