Re.: Payment for statistical work on European Commission (EC) Framework 6 projects

Does anybody have experience of working in a UK University setting as a non-academic statistician on an EC Framework 6 project, but without a contract specifically tying them to the project (e.g. with the work being done as part of their general remit to provide statistical support across the University) ?

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has experienced their University refusing to authorise payments for statistical work sanctioned in such a project's budget, in particular on the (spurious ?) basis that this might upset the project's auditors.

I would be even more interested in hearing from anybody who has worked in such a capacity on an EC Framework 6 project and has NOT ecountered such a problem !

Somebody in a suit down here at Surrey has taken it upon himself to block payment due to me (via the Mathematics Department) for my last 20 days of work on such a project, claiming that as a permanent member of academic staff (which I'm not) I am ineligible under the rules of EC Framework 6 funding. Any advice gratefully received.....

Peter Williams
Statistical Consultancy Officer (Part-time)
Department of Mathematics
University of Surrey

P.S. The above does not apply to EC Framework 7 projects, where evidently this problem is not a problem.....