Hello Anna,

The version of UK Part M I have here (I'm in Ireland) states for buildings other than dwellings "Car Parking and setting down will satisfy Requirement M1 or M2 if: (a) at least one parking bay designated for disabled people is provided on firm and level ground as close as feasible to the principal entrance of the building."

Our draft guidance (which goes beyond Irish building regs) states the following as best practice (taken mainly from BS 8300:2001 and UK Department for Transport - Inclusive Mobility).

The number of designated parking spaces depends on the building type. The following guidelines are recommended: Premises used by a high proportion of people with disabilities require a larger than average number of designated spaces. The parking requirement for such building types should be calculated in relation to the anticipated demand.

I would be keen to know if there are recommendations that go higher than this - as we are reassessing our best practice recommendations on an ongoing basis.

Kindest regards,

Antoinette

Dr Antoinette Fennell
Project Manager
Centre for Excellence in Universal Design (CEUD)
National Disability Authority
25 Clyde Rd
Dublin 4

Tel: +353 (0)1 6080 478
Fax: +353 (0)1 6609 935
Web address www.universaldesign.ie

CEUD Vision: “The Centre is dedicated to the principle of universal access for people in Ireland to participate in a society that takes account of human difference, enabling everyone to interact with their environment to the best of their ability”

Anna Charles-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

25/09/2008 13:00
Please respond to
Accessibuilt list <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Proportion of accessible parking spaces

Dear All,

Apologies for such a basic question but I'm a bit rusty on access these days.  Can anyone
remind me of the recommended proportion of accessible bays within a staff/visitor car
park?  I'd be interested in both minimums and best practice numbers.

Kind regards,

Anna

Anna Charles-Jones
Learning Support Adviser
Learning Support
Student Services
Student and Academic Services
Manchester Metropolitan University
All Saints Building
Oxford Road
Manchester
M15 6BH
United Kingdom

Tel. +44(0)161 247 3041
Fax. +44(0)161 247 6852
Email: [log in to unmask] ( mailto:[log in to unmask] )
Web page: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/sas

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester
Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer

----------End of Message----------
Run by SURFACE for more information on research, consultancy and the distance taught MSc. in Accessibility and Inclusive Design programme visit:
http://www.surface.salford.ac.uk
Archives for the Accessibuilt discussion list are located at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/accessibuilt.html

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. It is the policy of the National Disability Authority to disallow the sending of offensive material and should you consider that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the sender immediately and also [log in to unmask]".