There was some similar data from Australia in the 1970's too. Why do we persist in trying to (re)invent the square wheel?
John

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of gordon challand
Sent: 26 September 2008 15:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Admission tests

Dear Trevor
It is amazing how things tend to go full circle! More than 30 years ago Tom Whitehead's group did a careful study on the benefits associated with 'biochemical profiling' on admission (based I believe on the old Technicon 6-60 and 12-60 analyzers - a battery of some 18 analytes). They came to the conclusion that this increased rather than decreased average hospital stay, mainly owing to the need to investigate the 'unexpected abnormalities' which cropped up which required further investigation. There was no evidence to support your 'best opinion (which was then, and I believe still is widely accepted)!
with best wishes
Gordon Challand
------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/