don't they first emerge in cyprus? earlier domes than in egypt. have something somewhere about it, but rather useless for the uk
salima

On 6 Aug 2008, at 19:36, Stephanie Vann wrote:

According to Linseele et al (2007) there appear to be domestic cats by the Middle Kingdom (c. 2040 - 1782 BC) in Egypt, at the latest during the 12th dynasty (c. 1976 - 1793 BC) when the animal begins to appear frequently in Egyptian art. However, since as I understand it the cat's origins lie in the Middle East, an early date is perhaps not unsurprising.

One problem though with answering the 'when do domestic cats appear' question appears to be differentiating between wild and domestic animals. O'Connor (2007) discusses this with regard to biometric variation in what I found to be quite an interesting paper.

Linseele, V., Van Neer, W., and Hendrickx, S. 2007. Evidence for early cat taming in Egypt. Journal of Archaeological Science 34: 2081-2090

O’Connor, T. 2007. Wild or Domestic? Biometric Variation in the Cat Felis Silvestris Schreber. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 17: 581-595

Stephanie Vann, PhD
Archaeozoologist

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:07:23 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] domestic cat in Britain
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear All

I can find plenty of Iron Age references to the presence of domestic cats, but none for the Bronze Age. What is the current thinking on the arrival of domestic cats in Britain?

Thanks

Sylvia

Sylvia Warman
Environmental Officer

Direct Line 01285 772 618

Cotswold Archaeology
Building 11
Kemble Enterprise Park
Cirencester
Gloucestershire
GL7 6BQ

T: 01285 771022
F: 01285 771033
E: sylvia.warman@cotswoldarch.org.uk

© Cotswold Archaeology: a Limited Company Registered in England No.2362531. Registered Charity No. 1001653

Privilege and Confidentiality Notice.
This e-mail and any attachments to it are intended only for sole use of the intended recipient. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete any digital copies and destroy any paper copies.

Thank you.

This message has been scanned by MailController.

Find out how to make Messenger your very own TV! Try it Now!

Salima Ikram
Professor of Egyptology
American University in Cairo